Training for UTZ and RA certification, Yara, Nigeria
Training for UTZ and RA certification with a strong focus on yield improvement.
Building on the successful experiences in Ivory Coast, the Yara cocoa sustainability project seeks to increase farmer yields through training in:
- GAP – Good Agricultural Practices
- Pest control
- Use of fertilizer
- Introduction of high yielding and more disease-resistant tree varieties
To date, success has been significant and measurable:
- Six farmer organizations have developed their own trained teams for “Internal Control Systems”.
- 794 farmers received their UTZ certificate in May 2011 and are among Nigeria’s first 2,000 certified cocoa farmers. An additional 1,000 farmers are on track for certification in early 2012.
- A project with Dutch NGO Aflatoun will provide education in social and financial studies for 1000 farmer children. The project is funded by the ECOM Foundation.